Dear Class of 2023 and Incoming Transfer Students,
Welcome to Academic Advising in the College! We know you have a busy and exciting summer ahead of you as you prepare to arrive on campus. This will include setting up an Autumn quarter schedule during pre-registration, which is a time for you to request the courses you'd most like to take during your first quarter. You have been assigned a pre-registration window in which you will request your Autumn courses. See here if you need to switch your assigned pre-registration window, but don't worry - those who submit requests during the first window won't get any advantage in the course enrollment process.
Figuring out what classes to request can be a daunting process, so we've put together some reference materials and a couple of tools to help you prepare. We recommend that you begin with the following:
Review the New Student Advising website:
- Degree Requirements - Read through the requirements necessary to earn an undergraduate degree at UChicago.
- Placement & AP Tests - Take the Math and all other appropriate online placement tests and submit AP/IB exam scores, if relevant.
- First Quarter Schedules - Identify the best courses for you to take this Autumn by reviewing the "First Quarter Schedules" page(s) relevant to your area(s) of interest.
- Registering for Autumn Courses - Read through scheduling considerations outlined in this section to help you prepare for the course request process.
- Summer Advising - Contact the College Academic Advising Office in May and June with quick questions. Then schedule your required conference with your Assigned Summer Adviser for July. See additional details below.
Bookmark the College Catalog:
The College Catalog explains all requirements in detail, identifies which courses can satisfy general education requirements, and provides descriptions for courses planned for the year. See here if you have questions about using the Catalog.
Complete required meeting wtih your Assigned Summer Adviser by August 1:
All incoming students must have a meeting either in person or via phone or Skype by Autust 1 at 5:00 pm CDT in order to submit your course requests in August. Scheduling for required summer conferences will open in late June; you will receive an email notifying you when you may begin scheduling appointments with your Assigned Summer Adviser. Please feel free to contact the Academic Advising office with any questions. Be sure to identify yourself as an incoming student when you call!
Once you submit your pre-registration requests, the algorithms in our registration system will attempt to maximize your top course choices based around available seats, creating your schedule. You'll receive your schedule on or around September 9, and once you are here, your College Adviser will meet with you to discuss your courses and any questions you might have.
We encourage you to be in touch with your Assigned Summer Adviser over the summer for your required summer meeting and for additional questions as they arise. Congratulations to you as you begin this exciting next step! We look forward to working with you.
Kathleen A. Forde
Director of Academic Advising
Sr. Associate Dean of Students
The College, Office of the Dean of Students